A Big Red Neon Love

(Fun up-tempo about being hopelessly in love.  Female vocal)

Click to listen…
[right-click to save the mp3]

You get me, you know me better than I know myself
When you touch me, like strawberry ice cream, baby I just melt
We’re kissing on the sidewalk, everybody stops and stares
They’re all wishing they were us, hearts flying everywhere
We’re just showin’ off..

Chorus:
A big red neon love
The kind that you’ve heard stories of
You can see it in our eyes
Lighting up the sky
A big red neon love
You can’t help but notice us
Plug us in and watch us buzz
We’ve got a big red neon love

Used to be shy, until I, quit caring what people think
Now I kiss you, whenever I want to, I don’t even blink
Cuz sometimes it’s so right, you just gotta break the rules
Baby I just can’t help myself when it comes to me and you
I can’t get enough

Chorus:
A big red neon love
The kind that you’ve heard stories of
You can see it in our eyes
Lighting up the sky
A big red neon love
You can’t help but notice us
Plug us in and watch us buzz
We’ve got a big red neon

Love… shining through the night
Love… big and bold and burning bright

CHORUS

Janice FitzGerald/Hugh Colocott
Available for purchase at https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/rock-in-the-vortex/id387641120

COMMENTS

1. Josh Goodfellow January 18, 2013 at 2:00 am #

Hey I have a question… we really love this song! It is played on the radio where I work (the Muzak station at Walgreens), but no one seems to have heard of it or know who the artist is. Even apps like Shazaam can’t identify the song. I only found it by searching the lyrics online. Who is the artist of this song? How did she find her way onto a Muzak station, but not onto normal radio stations or mainstream popularity? let me know, I love it!

• janice January 18, 2013 at 8:07 pm #

Hi, Her name is Amanda Droste. I wrote the song to pitch to other signed artists. I’m not sure how it got on Muzak, but thank you for letting me know. I should be getting paid for that. Feel free to download the song and pass it around. You never know who will hear it and want to record it. Best, Janice

• Carly Fletcher March 26, 2013 at 1:18 am #

I work at Walgreens and this plays everyday! 🙂 I’m like who’s this?? 😀 It’s awesome!

• janice March 26, 2013 at 1:24 am #

Thanks! If you type Big Red Neon Love in Itunes it comes right up under Rock the Vortex. Cheers!

2. Chris January 20, 2013 at 3:02 pm #

I, too, have heard this song at Walgreens (though it’s not a Muzak station, but a mix station) and really enjoyed it. I’m glad I was able to find it here.

• janice January 20, 2013 at 7:34 pm #

When you say “mix” station do you mean something like Pandora?

3. Lorelei January 22, 2013 at 5:34 am #

That’s so weird, I work at a Walgreens and that’s where I’ve heard this song too. I tried using shazaam to identify it, and nothing came up… but it sounds like it could potentially be mainstream. I wonder how Walgreen’s got it. The radio is not like Pandora, but more like a satellite radio like Sirius… although that’s not the actual provider. I’m not sure who provides it, but if I were you I would definitely look into it, you should totally be getting paid for it. It really makes me crazy to like a song and to not know who sings it.

Good luck!

4. RyanT282 January 26, 2013 at 3:14 am #

I work at a supermarket and they play this song, too! They’ve recently played two other obviously new songs and I can’t find the artist or song online no matter how much I’ve looked. And this is the only website I could find A Big Red Neon Love. These other mysterious songs must also be from up-and-coming unsigned artists as well. Bummer. 🙁

• janice January 26, 2013 at 10:33 pm #

Feel free to download it from my site. What supermarket do you work in? Do you know what service they use to stream music?

• RyanT282 January 27, 2013 at 4:25 am #

Winn-Dixie Supermarket, central Florida. It’s called the In-Store Broadcasting Network aka InStore Audio Network. http://www.instoreaudionetwork.com/in2/. “A Big Red Neon Love” is probably being played at Walgreens, CVS, K-Mart, Kroger, Winn-Dixie and Safeway stores nationwide.
        Funny thing is, when I kept hearing these mysterious songs that I can’t find any information on, I thought, “Well, obviously these songs are out there and writers and singers are getting royalties!” Sure hope you get to the bottom of things with your song being played.

5. Janice FitzGerald January 28, 2013 at 3:21 am #

Thanks so much Ryan. I will have my publisher try to get some answers from them. I never gave permission for this song to be licensed to their service, so I have no idea how they got the song. I should be getting some compensation, however. I think I’m going to post it to Itunes and Amazon if it’s in that many store. More people may be looking for it, and I could be getting compensation for sales. You guys are welcome to have it for free though! Thank you!!

• RyanT282 January 29, 2013 at 12:42 am #

I’m starting to think that maybe these two or three other “mystery songs” that they are playing (heard them again today) were also taken by other songwriters without their knowledge. 🙁

6. melissa February 8, 2013 at 4:54 am #

I work at Walgreens. I here big red neon love. I tried to shaman the song no luck. Who is the singer. Can’t find it on any music download sites.

• janice February 8, 2013 at 7:48 pm #

Thanks for your interest in the song. If you type Big Red Neon Love into the Itunes store it comes right up. Album is Rock in the Vortex and the song is on there. Best, Janice

7. Jami February 24, 2013 at 7:27 pm #

Hi! I just wanted to say that I, too, first heard this song at Walgreens while at work. I love it a lot and kept trying to figure out who sings it! Mystery solved I suppose 🙂 Glad it is on iTunes now. And from what I know, the system Walgreens uses to play music is Muzak. Not quite sure how it works tho. Hope you get to the bottom of all that! xoxo

• janice February 26, 2013 at 3:33 am #

Glad you like it! Thanks for the support!

8. Ian Smith March 5, 2013 at 2:46 am #

Very good site, thank you so much for your effort in writing the posts.

9. matt April 16, 2013 at 3:35 am #

Holy. Cow!! I hear this song at the stop and shop in franklin lakes, new jersey (though I assume all stop and shops have it) and it got hopelessly stuck in my head. Quick google search lead me here, and apparently the singer is a girl I went to highschool with

10. Gene September 11, 2013 at 5:37 pm #

Ditto on Walgreens, Houston, Texas. Their stuff is usually an exercise in redundant monotonic monotony, and I can’t wait to get out of there. Major key, upbeat melodies with actual tonal variations like this one are a great relief. Someone slipped up yesterday and played a long string of good songs. This one was among them. Hope you have much success with it. Write some more like it. Songs like this are oxygen in a carbon monoxide musical environment.

11. Rebecca April 18, 2014 at 9:19 pm #

They play this song at Kroger (Ralph’s and Food 4 Less) stores as well as a few other unknown songs that seem to have this singer’s voice. I hope Musak is compinsating you and all the artists. It’s a great song!

• janice April 18, 2014 at 10:41 pm #

Thanks Rebecca! I am being compensated -finally. It’s not much, but I’ll take it. The song is also for sale (if you’re not sick to death of it by now 🙂 on Itunes.

• sal November 18, 2015 at 4:53 pm #

Glad to hear you’re finally getting a little bit of money for it. I was feeling bad reading that they weren’t paying you! I hear it at least once a day working at a Stop & Shop in NJ.

12. Kelee May 26, 2015 at 2:16 am #

I work for Fred Meyer in Oregon and I hear this song at least once to twice a day. It’s one of my favorites. If I have to listen to music at work it might as well be good like this.

• janice December 2, 2015 at 1:55 am #